Monday, November 20, 2006

Homemade Pork and Beans

Pork and beans is not included in the list of my favourite foods. Since I was a child, I don’t remember my father or mother buying canned pork and beans. But when I got married, I learned that my hubby really loves pork and beans. So every time I go to the grocery store to buy things for the house, pork and beans is always in my list of canned goods to buy. Even my son loves pork and beans now. But as much as possible I am trying to lessen the consumption of canned and preserved foods. I know that in the long run, it isn’t good for the health of my family. And if you notice when you buy canned pork and beans, you can hardly find the pork in the can; maybe if you’re really lucky you will find three small pieces of pork or is it ground pork? (lol)

As I was browsing my old issue of Good Housekeeping magazine, I saw this home-made pork and beans recipe. It is a very easy recipe.



Ingredients:

½ kilo white beans (Great northern or navy beans)
1 tablespoon corn oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
½ kilo pork belly or liempo, sliced ½” thick
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 ½ to 2 cups water
½ cup tomato catsup
¼ cup corn oil
1 ½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch, dispersed in 1 tablespoon water

Procedure:

Soak the beans in enough water overnight. Drain and rinse. In a saucepan, heat oil then sauté garlic and onions. Add sliced pork and cook until brown. Add soy sauce and water. Add the beans and cook covered until tender. You can also do this in a pressure cooker. Add catsup, oil, salt, and sugar. Stir carefully to prevent beans from getting mashed. Thicken sauce with dispersed cornstarch. Cook 1 minute more.

You’ll never buy canned pork and beans after trying this simple recipe. Believe me, it tastes good.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember pork & beans when i was a kid. This looks like the real deal, Lani.

Anonymous said...

wow! this looks like the best PORK and beans i've ever seen! really chunky pork indeed compared to the ones we get to see in those tin cans!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These look great and definitely much better than canned (love that chunk of liempo in there!!!) :)

What my dad used to do to canned p&b to make it taste less, um, canned, is sautee some onion and garlic in olive oil, then add lots of bacon slices, then the p&b...and then some mustard :) Sure fooled us kids!

Lani said...

Mae, you're right!

Ces, talagang iyon ang mas gusto ko maraming pork, hehehe.

Joey, sarap ng liempo. Galing naman ni daddy mo, talagang masarap iyon.

Anonymous said...

wow superb itong pork and beans recipe mo ah!

tnx for sharing!

Anonymous said...

i gotta try this! my dad cooks canned pork & beans with chicken naman at masarap din :) iska

JoLoGs QuEeN said...

hindi ako mahilig jan
sa pork n beans kasi
kapag kumakain kami
ung nabibili sa tindahan
as in 1 pork lang at
madaming beans (^_^)

Anonymous said...

Ayan I'm back! Gonna try your recipe using chicken naman... hanap lang muna ako ng beans... haay!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing had 2.2Kgs pork belly that I deboned and 1kg broad beans dry. Put beans in water plus the soya cooked for 3 hours Browned meat on onin and garlic brown sugar at end used Italian tinned tomatoes added drained beans and some more crushed garlic taste missing ahh worstershire sauce a splash and food for a week. Thanks for recipe warm regards Hayden

Anonymous said...

hi lani. i'm lady cess.

i too have seen that recipe in gh mag but unfortunately, i lost it. good thing you published it here in your blog.

if you don't mind, i'm going to pubish thison my blog, of course with credit and a link to your post.

thanks and keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

Can you suggest something to substitute for liempo? I have been looking for a real recipe to substitute for canned pork and beans and I don't think they sell that in the states.

Lani said...

you can use porkloin or spare ribs if u want... or pork chops

Unknown said...

thanks one of my lifes ambitions is to make homemade pork n beans

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Thank you for posting! You can also used prepared ham, salt pork or bacon....my husband prefers bacon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lani, thanks for this recipe. How long would this last if stored in the fridge po?

Anonymous said...

I store it in the fridge for about 3 days only. What I do it stored it in the freezer and microwave it

plasterers bristol said...

This sounds really nice. gonna make this for tea one night. Thanks. Simon